Deckchairs

Deckchairs

Quote

The true university these days is a collection of books.
-Thomas Carlyle

Monday 2 April 2012

March Roundup

The March Hare has a long history in the UK, but no more so than as one of the characters at the Mad Hatter's Tea Party in Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland, a story that fascinated and delighted me when I was a child. The picture to the left, accompanying this months roundup is from poetreecreations with a poem to go with it if you use the link.
How have the books been going...?
Read - 3 books
Completed -
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
The Unforgotten Coat by Frank Cottrell Boyce
The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist
Currently Reading -
Dubliners by James Joyce
Notes from Walnut Tree Farm by Roger Deakin
The Organic Year by Patricia Gallimore
TBR Pile - currently at 118 (according to GoodReads) with no new ones added in March.
Challenges -
-I have kept to #1 of my personal challenges to not buy any new books, also tying in to the TBR Pile Double Dare (see my sidebar) which is to only read books from your TBR pile
-I have posted another Book/Film comparison about We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver, for #5 of my personal challenges.
-I have completed #2 of my personal challenges, to read Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte which I will be reviewing here soon.
-I have read my dystopia novel, The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist, for #6 of my personal challenges. The review will be coming up on The Octogon soon.
-I am currently reading Dubliners by James Joyce as one of my recommendations for the year from AR.
Wishlist Additions - There are none this month which is just as well, seeing as my TBR Pile is toppling over.
Discoveries - poetreecreations, a poetry website started by poets in the East Midlands with workshops held in Nottingham. The website also explores commonly held traditions in Britain and around the world and their history, especially those that are linked to a particular calendar day or month (such as the March Hare above).
Events - World Book Night is coming soon (April 23rd) and various events are being organised around the country, books are being prepared to be delivered to volunteers who will be giving them away in lots of places on the night. Last years event was very successful and there was a host of book related programs on TV. I am looking forward to the whole event, especially as I gained lots of inspiration last year for new authors and titles.
Spring is well under way, warmer days and outdoor spots to take a book along and read. April is here.

Hay on Wye

Hay on Wye