Deckchairs

Deckchairs

Quote

The true university these days is a collection of books.
-Thomas Carlyle

Tuesday 5 February 2013

January Roundup

Blustery, snowy days heading in to the warmth with a good book. It has been quite an interesting month on the book front...

Read - 1 and a half books
Completed - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Currently Reading -
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
Literary Genius edited by Joseph Epstein
Adventures of a Waterboy by Mike Scott
The Natural Navigator by Tristan Gooley
TBR Pile - currently at 126 (acoording to GoodReads) with no new books added during January.
Challenges - I was looking into #8 of my challenges of reading a prizewinner, either Man Booker Prize or Orange prize for Literature, or similar, and it seems that I already had 5 titles that would fit the bill on my TBR pile, unawares...
Man Booker Prizewinners
The Gathering by Anne Enright (2007 winner)
White Tiger by Aravind Adiga (2008 winner)
Orange Prizewinners for Literature
Bel Canto by Ann Patchett (2002 winner)
Half Of A Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (2007 winner)
Whitbread Book of the Year winner
Eve Green by Susan Fletcher (2004 winner)
I found this pretty exciting, and having the choice already on my bookshelves was enticing to say the least. I haven't decided which one that I will read yet for this challenge but there are some excellent titles there that all interest me in one way or another. Watch this space.
Wishlist Additions -
The Lifeboat by Charlotte Regan
The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier
Finding Camlawn by Sean Pidgeon
Discoveries -
I went to see Life of Pi at the cinema, in 3D. I am one of the few book bloggers that has not read the book so actually knew nothing of the story. I found it visually amazing, dazzling in fact, and the best 3D film that I have seen to date. I also found the story very moving to a devastating degree in parts, and spent most of the movie distraught behind my 3D glasses. So much so I could not really speak about it immediately afterwards. A truly beautiful and original film that showcases cinema at its greatest visual powers but also with a highly memorable story that will honestly stay with me forever. Will I read the book now? Maybe, some time, when I have got over the movie!
Events -
Liverpool is hosting a 3 week literary festival from 23 April until 19 May, incorporating the official opening of the newly refurbished Central Library on William Brown Street. Events timetable is still to be announced but there will be things happening in St Georges Hall, St John's Gardens , Central Library and other venues in the city.
February is already under way, what delights will it hold...?

No comments:

Hay on Wye

Hay on Wye